WOMEN DANCING TOGETHER
Ruth E. Carter is an Academy Award-winning, highly lauded and influential costume designer. After making history as the first African-American to win the “Oscar” for Best Costume Design for “Marvel’s Black Panther” in 2019, she was also awarded the Costume Designers Guild for Career Achievement in Film.
Ms. Carter has worked with such legendary filmmakers as Spike Lee (“Do The Right Thing”), Steven Spielberg (“Amistad”) and Ava Duvernay (“Selma”). She was recently elected to the Academy’s Board of Governors, a prestigious honor.
Wanting to further enhance her causes of inclusion, diversity and mentorship, Ruth was looking to build awareness for Women’s History Month, fresh off her very visible and historic Academy Award win. Ruth has built a career not only in film but also inspiring women and little girls around the world and wanted to leverage her win to a greater extent.
The MeauxGul Agency strategized with Ms. Carter in order to create a campaign that was unique, specific and unexpected. The rote, easy strategy would have been to ask women to post pictures of other women who inspired them; however, MeauxGul determined that virality was a key aspect to creating a moment that other women, all over the world, would want to be a part of.
The hashtag #WomenDancingTogether was created and Ms. Carter personally kicked off the campaign tagging a “few” of her celebrity female compatriots to great, organic results. First to heed the call was another Academy Award winning celebrity – Halle Berry. This lead to other stars creating even more intricate, fully produced and professional posts featuring the hashtag.
Such legendary names like Reese Witherspoon, Gabrielle Union, percussionist Sheila E., Angela Bassett and Kelly Rowland all had a hand in driving the hashtag to stellar results that not only went viral but grabbed the attention of mainstream press as well.
- Over 17MM+ #WomenDancingTogether video views
- 2,000+ videos created by Instagram users
- 78MM online users reached, 58,395 comments and 2.6MM likes across all social media channels
- Ruth E. Carter’s social media audience increased 84.7% — with Instagram follower count increasing by 1,587% and overall engagement up 575%.
- The #WomenDancingTogether Challenge received organic press such as Good Morning America, Access Hollywood, Harper’s Bazaar, E! Online, Time, Ebony and more.